Like many other Galician clubs, such as Compostela and Racing Ferrol , the club badge is based on the red cross of Saint James . On top of the cross sits a sky blue shield with two letter "Cs" (Club Celta). In 1923, Celta became one of several Spanish football clubs that were granted patronage by the Spanish crown and thus entitled to use Real (Royal) in their names and the royal crown on their badge. This right was granted to Celta by Alfonso XIII , and the club subsequently became known as Real Club Celta de Vigo . During the Spanish Second Republic (1931–1936), the title Real was removed from the club's name and the royal crown was taken off the club crest; however, it was returned under the Spanish State .